Important part of building your brand is domain selection. If you are building your personal brand, you should have your name in the domain name.
If you have a home-based business and you are utilizing a company replicated site with a long ugly link, you should upgrade that look. You must become more than a distributor.
You tell me.. what looks more professional?
Examples of Domains:
- For Your Primary Business
- Your Personal Blog
- Your Product/Service
- Your Capture Page (this is your prospecting site)
If you have a home-based business, you should think twice before marketing your company replicated site.
How can you measure your marketing results when a ‘store-front’ site doesn’t capture any information? If you are serious about building your home business, you want to be gathering all the names and emails of your prospects over time. Best way to do this is to have some sort of a capture page system and an auto-responder built into it. If your upline doesn’t have a capture-page system, here is a great recommendation for you: MyDuplicationAcademy.com
- Use your name as domain (if it’s easy to spell)
- Use get, vip, pro, info, free, meet, etc if you have a common name (example: meetjohnsmith.com)
- If your name is hard to spell – you might want simplify it… (example: connectwithnadya.com, workwithnadya.com, meetnadya.com)
Biggest Domain Mistakes:
- Can’t pronounce easily – must be phonetic friendly
- Can’t spell easily
- Can’t write easily and quickly
- Acid Test: tell someone on a less than perfect phone connection with noise in the background – will you have to repeat it or spell it out?
There are a lot of different providers… godaddy.com is a popular one ( they have been raising their prices though).
I recommend Domain.com. Fantastic customer services and great prices.
Once you purchase your domain name (unless you are going to build your own site on it), all you need to do is set up “URL forwarding”. It sounds hard, but trust me … this is so simple. Plus, you can always reach out to your domain provider and have them walk you through the process. This is an awesome way to take a long ugly link and make it pretty!
Domain Selection, Set-Up & URL Forwarding Tutorial
Additional Resources to Help Your Rock Your Branding:
- Online Marketing for Beginners with Amy Porterfield
- Tanya Aliza on How to Succeed Online
- 6 Steps to Do-it-Yourself WordPress Blog
- Branding Audit: Is Your Online Presence Setup for Success?
- How to Work Smarter Not Harder
Want to Know What Tools I use to Build My Brand?
- My Tool Box – I often get asked what tools I use and recommend, so I decided to put together one page with all my favorite resources. Enjoy!
If this post was helpful to you, let’s help some more people! Feel free to share this with anyone who might enjoy it and also leave a comment below and let me know if this was valuable and what you’ll implement today.
I empower entrepreneurs in identifying their purpose-driven brand to maximize the power of Social Media and the success of their online marketing efforts.
PS: Want to become an authority in your niche virtually overnight? Catch the replay of the training with a multi-million dollar earner, Ray Higdon, and discover the 5 steps to becoming an authority. Click here before the replay expires.